Saturday, December 29, 2012

Keeping promises

I really wish when people said they are going to do something THEY ACTUALLY WOULD DO IT!

Back at the end of October I was contacted by a volunteer for a shelter in Southern Ohio.  This county is at the very bottom of the state and rarely do dogs come out of there alive.  They had 2, yes 2 pregnant dogs.  I said I can't take on puppies right not because I am pregnant and getting bigger weekly, taking care of puppies is not a good idea for me.  BUT if anyone wants to foster them great!  2 people did step up to foster them.

So, I arranged for them to get to their foster homes and to get fixed.  They were going to get fixed the day after Christmas.  I took Friday the 21st off of work so the puppies could come to my house that day and then I would have families come pick out their puppy, take them to get fixed on the 26th and then they could all go home!  PERFECT!

Well the foster homes both wanted the puppies gone BEFORE this dates so I ended up with BOTH litters on the 16th.  M - R I had to work.... my job being very demanding and well my boss is all over me all the time for everything.  Ever feel like you can't do anything right?   So on the days I had to work I was up at 5:30 am cleaning puppy crap.  I had people come over while I was at work and I made sure that I was home by at least 6:30 so that I could pick up more puppy crap.  AND then I would go back out every night at 10 for the last clean up of the day.  And every time I was out with the puppies it was at least 1 hour of cleaning.

So thinking that an end was near b/c I was seriously getting so overwhelmed and burned out on Christmas Eve morning Holly came over to help me vaccinate 16 puppies and to help clean up after them.  I swear they go worse as the week went on with the amount of poop.

As we are vaccinating the puppies the runt of the one litter (we called them the rottens) got up, walked away from her bed and pooped WATER!  My exact words were FUCK!

I took her to the vet and she tested positive for Parvo.

The vet gave me medicine for all 16 puppies and I went home and separated her from the rest of the puppies.  gave everyone medicine, canceled the spay/neuter appointment and let all the people adopting know that one puppy got sick.

The puppy that was sick didn't act like a parvo puppy.. she ate a little, drank a little and just wanted to sleep.  By Thursday no one else had gotten sick SO I re scheduled appointments and told everyone that they could come get their puppy and foster it until surgery.

Well a few more have gotten sick, just not as bad and I am going to loose my mind!

First of all I DID NOT WANT EITHER OF THESE LITTERS!  I knew that I couldn't handle them.  I am 9 weeks from giving birth and I knew that I would be tired and not feeling good and I didn't want to take care of puppies.
WELL GUESS THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN NOW DID IT!!

I am so pissed off right now for being in this situation.   Next year when someone says they want to foster a dog that is a shelter, they are keeping that dog or dogs until it gets adopted.

I AM F-ING DONE!!!!!!

No comments: