Thank you so much for your interest in Heidi. She is going to make someone a special dog. Unfortunately at this time I can not approve your application due to the fact that one of your dogs is not fixed. I was surprised to read this after seeing you had lost so many to cancer. An unaltered dog has much higher risk of cancer then those who are fixed.
If you decided to have your dog fixed please contact us again. You sound like a great home and I know Tammy (Heidi's foster mom) and you had a good conversation.
Why Spay or Neuter?
- If you think that just having one or two litters won't hurt anybody, this fact should change your mind: according to the Humane Society of the United States, 10,000 babies are born in the U.S. on any given day. On that same day, however, 70,000 puppies and kittens are born. Match those two statistics up, and you'll see that there will never be enough homes for all the animals born in this country unless we all take responsibility for spaying and neutering our pets. Change begins with YOU! Spay or neuter your pet!
- Spayed/neutered pets live longer, healthier lives
- Spaying your female pet greatly reduces the risk of breast cancer and completely eliminates the threat of uterine and ovarian cancer.
- Neutering your male pet prevents testicular cancer and prostate problems, and helps him avoid serious health problems like hernias and perianal tumors.
- Males neutered at a young age are far less likely to develop dominance or aggression-related behavior problems, including possession and food guarding, territory marking (lifting his leg on everything in sight), aggression toward other dogs, and "humping" inappropriate objects.
- Neutering your male pet relieves him of the constant urge to go out in search of a female in heat. Ridding him of his urge to roam could very well save his life, and save you from a terrible broken heart.
- Spaying your dog or cat eliminates her heat cycle and the mess that goes with it. Also, females in heat often cry and howl incessantly, develop nervous behavior, and attract every unaltered male dog in the neighborhood to your yard!
- Altered animals are generally more docile and easier to train
- In the span of seven years, an unspayed cat and her offspring can produce 370,000 kittens!
- In the span of six years, an unspayed dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies!
her email back to me:
my response to her:
Every dog that I place is ONLY placed in a home with altered pets. Cats and Dogs!
I understand show dogs are not altered but this was never mentioned in your application. Also, if you only showed him 1 or 2 times then why hasn't he been altered since you are not showing him any more?
I NEVER said you were a bad pet owner. I am sure you are a good pet owner however "accidents" happen and that is why it is so important for dogs to be fixed. I did not call your personal reference because I am not going to waste their time talking to them when I know I can't approve your applications because your dog is not fixed.
Please don't be concerned about the dogs in my rescue they are extremely healthy and happy. I have placed over 500 dogs since Jan 2006 and being a small rescue with little funds that is a big number of dogs.
If you choose to alter your dog feel free to contact us again but I am sorry it is (outside of medical reasons verified by a vet or an active show dog) very cut and dry.