Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Moxie

Two weeks ago my rescue friend calls me. She says I am at the pound and there is a Great Peryneese here. They are literally walking her to the gas chamber. I said "NO DON'T LET THEM DO THAT! Put her in your car." She said what the heck are we going to do with a GP. I said I don't know get her in the car and we can figure it out from there.

Long story short. This poor baby is 6 - 8 years old, had to be totally shaved b/c she had so many ticks on her...40 to be exact, looked like she has recently had puppies and had a mammary tumor.

I took her to the vet to find out she was heartworm positive. Great! A dog that is heartworm positive can't have surgery... that means she can't be spayed and she can't have her mammary tumor removed.

The reason a dog can't have surgery if they have heartworm is b/c they could die while under anesthesia. The vet said she would perform the surgery anyway if I was ok with that. Well of course I was b/c you can't treat the cancer if she has heartworm; you can't treat the cancer b/c of the heartworm... circle we go! Loose loose for the poor dog.

Well the surgery went fine. Removed the mammay tumor and she was spayed. BUT and her is the big BUT! The cancer had spread ;-( It is everywhere. She has no chance. It is all over her spleen, stomach, everywhere.

We are putting her on heartgard to slow down the production of heartworm and possibly kill of the babies. And April, a foster home is letting her live out her life in her family. Hospice for a dog. Just like I did with Sally.

It is so sad that people do things like this to dogs. A simple pill once a month or simply spaying her and NONE of this would have happened.




No comments: